The headquarters of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) was the scene for this weeks 2015 International Seafarers' Welfare (ISWAN) Awards, funded by a grant from the ITF Seafarers' Trust and this year additionally headline sponsored by Inmarsat.
The award ceremony was hosted by Secretary General of the IMO, Mr Koji Sekimizu, and, at an event dedicated to honouring organisations and individuals which have excelled at providing assistance to the merchant marine maritime community, Mr Sekimizu said:
“[The awards are] an excellent initiative to recognize excellence in the provision of welfare facilities and services for seafarers all over the world. I hope these awards will raise the profile of seafarers' welfare and encourage others to examine and improve their performance".
This year’s winners are:
• Judges' Special Award : Rev'd Ken Peters, Mission to Seafarers Director of Justice and Public Affairs
• Judges' Posthumous Award: Mr Paul Karras, founder of Hunterlink Recovery Services
• Shipping Company of the Year: Eidesvik
• Port of the Year: Port of Halifax, Canada
• Seafarer Centre of the Year: Seafarers' Centre Bremerhaven, Germany
• Dr Dierk Lindemann Welfare Personality of the Year Award (organisation): National Union of Seafarers of India
To read the full article [click here]